xorg-7.4_2 error (was xorg 7.4 questions)

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Wed Dec 30 19:54:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Warren Block wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, doug at safeport.com wrote:
>
> [xdm slow startup]
>
>> The answer appears to be to add an empty LISTEN statement to
>> /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess. The xdm package issues a IPV6 DHCP request.
>> While the xdm man page suggests this is not needed:
>>
>>       To disable listening for XDMCP connections altogther, a line of
>>       LISTEN with no addresses may be specified, or the previously
>>       supported method of setting DisplayManager.requestPort to 0 may
>>       be used.
>>
>> This seems not to be the case as adding this line gets rid of the long
>> delay and suppresses the IPV6 DHCP request. The DisplayManager.requestPort
>> is set to 0 in the default configuration. This solves the long start (I am
>> pretty sure). Thank you for your suggestions that pushed me to find this.

I was wrong about this. With this change xdm started fine from the command line
and took perhaps even longer when started from /etc/ttys. This describes 7.4_1
behavior.

> Hmm.  That sounds like a bug (maybe IPV6 support being added but the feature
> to disable it being forgotten).  Does having an IPV6 localhost defined in
> /etc/hosts ("::1 localhost") have the same effect?
>
>> I am also pretty sure my hardware just does not work with hal and dbus.
>
> What keyboard and mouse do you have?  Also, which version of FreeBSD are you
> using?

All these issues are with xorg 7.4_1. I have installed xorg-7.4_2 via pkg_add on
a clean system and xdm-1.1.8_2. Nothing else is installed.

Starting xdm gives the following in /var/log/xdm-log:

      :
   finished PLL1
   set RMX
   set LVDS
   enable LVDS
   disable primary dac
   disable FP1
   disable TV
   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/X: Undefined symbol "shmctl"
   xdm error (pid 1416): server unexpectedly died
   xdm error (pid 1416): Server for display :0 can't be started, session
   disabled

I added one line to the xorg.conf file generated by Xorg -configure:

   Option      "AutoAddDevices" "false"

A diff shows this file to be exactly what I was using with xorg-7.4_1 (which
works albeit with a very slow startup). I have excerpted various
[relevant] outputs to show my hardware. I needed I can either attach or
include the entire files.

startx works but locks the keyboard. After running fsck scores of times, it
finally occurred to me to ssh into the system so I can force a shutdown. With
both startx (which appears to work) and xdm a reboot is required to recover
the system. Starting xdm get an error logged to STDERR that an IPV6 LISTEN can
not be done.

My laptop is built without IPV6. hal and dbus are not started.

Thanks for any help. This appears to be either an error in the way the package
was build or something I can [hopefully] configure around.

Hardware: IBM thinkpad T42p

   dmesg
   ------
   pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
   vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> port 0x3000-0x30ff mem
   0xe0000000-0xe7ffffff,0xc0100000-0xc010ffff irq 11 at device 0.0
   on pci1
      :
   atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
   atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0

   pciconf
   ------------
   hostb0 at pci0:0:0:0:      class=0x060000 card=0x05291014 chip=0x33408086
                           rev=0x03
   hdr=0x00
       vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
       device     = '82855PM Processor to I/O Controller'
       class      = bridge
       subclass   = HOST-PCI
   pcib1 at pci0:0:1:0:       class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x33418086
                           rev=0x03  hdr=0x01
       vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
       device     = '82855PM Processor to AGP Controller'
       class      = bridge
       subclass   = PCI-PCI
           :
   vgapci0 at pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x054f1014 chip=0x4e541002
                           rev=0x80
   hdr=0x00
       vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
       device     = 'Radeon Mobility M10 NT (RV350-WS)'
       class      = display
       subclass   = VGA

_____
Douglas Denault