Adding an alias to .cshrc

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Dec 30 00:50:10 UTC 2009

Hi all, happy holidays!

I want to add an alias to my .cshrc file:

alias srm   find . -name "*~" | xargs rm

...so that I have an easy way to remove the temp files left by svn.

After adding the alias, logging out and then back in, I get an error
stating:

acct-dev: ISP-RADIUS % srm
srm: Command not found.

I thought that perhaps the file wasn't being read upon login, so I
appended a new alias underneath:

alias srm   find . -name "*~" | xargs rm
alias sll   ls -lA

...which works fine when called after re-login.

I even went as far as to prefix the find/xargs command with full paths,
to no avail.

Is this a problem with the pipe in the alias directive? The command
works on the CLI, as I literally copy/pasted it into the .cshrc file.

Steve