New user - small file server questions and quick GUI question

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Tue Dec 29 03:46:35 UTC 2009

[...]
> add
>
> dbus_enable="YES"
> hald_enable="YES"
>
> to your /etc/rc.conf. That will most likely clear your problem.

[...]

I will give this a go soon :-)

> That's what I do with mine under FreeBSD, for both servers and workstations.

Having both servers and workstations is cool as both of them need to be
looked at very differently!

I like having Linux for desktop systems due to the full multimedia
traits of it. I mean Debian or Ubuntu is pretty cool, Red Hat based
Fedora is problematic as by default some packages don't work properly so
you end up having to hack around the problem. Also multimedia is a
slight pain in Fedora due to having to add extra repos to get things
like MP3's working since there is some licensing issue.

For servers one can pretty much install anything just for raw services.
However when one starts considering performance attributes such as disk
write speed, ease of adding storage, memory usage, security etc into the
equation then one must side with one of the UNIX's around. Different
UNIX versions have different strengths and weaknesses but it is nice to
get to know as many as possible in order to actually identify and see
these attributes in live real time so that in a professional capacity
one has the experience to choose the correct system for the task at hand.

> I need to dive back into Linux - I want to figure out Xen now that it
> can do live migrations/failover, and FreeBSD doesn't do Dom0 - yet.
> So, I'll probably try out CentOS, though I suppose I could use NetBSD.

Aaaah yes Citrix Xen, it's cool - read the manual but haven't played
with it. Yeah I would run Linux just in case there are some things you
wish to do but can't in BSD although I can't comment on the differences
as I haven't seen them myself yet. I am really a big fan of testing
systems on Suns Virtual Box! Is almost like running a disposable OS.
Plug in and play then throw away until you need a proper H/W install :-)

> Eh. I just want something that works and keeps out of my way - xfce
> seems to do that just fine. For me, 'cool' is the apps and what I can
> do with them.

Hahahaha :-)

As long as I can listen to music and watch videos I am ok, oh as well as
browse web, check mail and use the occasional office app..... the rest
is all CLI for me......

However I will use a few more things too rarely - even 3D games.

I do like flashy screens though that no body can understand apart from a
trained operator :-P - tried this with normal lighting effect too as I
tried to emulate an aircraft landing strip with Christmas tree lights.
Where I live currently is like a complex with a few houses enclosed in a
site with private security etc. Anyway we put my lighting effect in the
entrance and before we knew it rained blowing out everything even the
backup generator and almost electrocuting everyone living inside.......
it was so embarrassing for that to happen to a person with an
electrical/electronic engineering degree :-O
aaaah oh well! I blame the site manager as he bought indoor lights as
they were cheap!!!

--Kaya