New user - small file server questions and quick GUI question

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Mon Dec 28 23:30:13 UTC 2009

> I can't speak to the rest, but WRT the GUI, I suspect you'll find it a
> lot easier if you install a Window Manager to handle a lot of this. I
> have found xfce4 to be a good one for me - gnome and kde were a bit
> much. Once I installed /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 with a 'make
> config-recursive' then chose my options, then 'make install', the GUI
> fired up just fine, and all of the hal/dbus stuff was handled for me.
>
> Kurt

I thought Gnome already came with Nautilus as Window manager??? Or in
FreeBSD is it extra?

Sorry am not used to doing things from scratch but soon I will get the
hang of it - just give me a couple of days to get the file server I am
on about up and running then will transfer the stuff clogging my
notebooks HD over there and install a VM through Vbox and really have a
go at understanding the GUI.

I did play around with FreeBSIE which is FreeBSD with the GUI installed
as a live CD which was really cool and light and worked especially well
on my 512MB RAM laptop. Now I don't have a memory issue as I have 6GB on
a newer machine running 64bit OS's all the way but still need to get to
grips with this :-)

Thanks for the tip Kurt!

Regards,

--Kaya