clicky driver

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 27 08:19:02 UTC 2009

On 12/27/09, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 02:11:55AM -0500, b. f. wrote:

> 	A BEL-per-key drove me beyond the limits back in '99; that isn't
> 	the answer, but to key a truncated bell, a click, at something well
> 	below middle-C: yes, this kind of thing is what I'm thinking of.

Remember, you can control the pitch and duration of the bell, and this
can change the character of the sound substantially.  Try it and see.

> 	What is ed's full email ed[at] where.org, please.

Guess:  FreeB _ _.org. :) (He's cc'ed.)

> 	If he'll give me the clues, I'll share in the hacking.  It is time
> 	to get this feature builtin to the kernel.  Off by default, and on
> 	at some user-tuneable values.

If you are talking about doing this by making the keymaps more
flexible, it is easily user-configurable, though perhaps not in an
on/off fashion. ed@ was writing a new console driver for other
reasons, among them unicode support, and I don't know if he planned to
tinker with the keyboard-handling code beyond what would be required
for a interface to a different console driver, but he may be willing
to help.

b.