Looking for a convenient way in C to retrieve CPU and memory usage of a process

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 07:49:00 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am looking for a convenient way using C to retrieve the current CPU
and memory utilization of a process of which I have the pid. Can
somebody please give me a hint of which system-calls/library-functions
to use for this ? I don't want to use the system() function or grep for
information via the /proc filesystem.

I would be grateful if you could also please mention whether the
suggested method[s] is/are FreeBSD-specific or would be portable to
other environments like Solaris/Linux ?

Thanks for any help.

Regards & Happy New Year
Manish Jain