clicky driver

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Dec 26 04:23:26 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 01:10:45AM +0000, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> someone posted recently about the play-string language for /dev/speaker,
> see speaker(4). Could you do something with that?
>
> btw thanks to whoever posted the play-string code for frere jaques -
> cracked me up :)
>
> Chris

	Wow; the stuff I've never heard about:-)   --I just tried spkrtest
	and have no /dev/speaker.

	The short answer [Guess] is no, I dont think so.  If getting the
	keys to have an auditory feedback with beeps or shorter clicks were
	that easy, it would have been done after 15 years.  Even Linux
	lacks this--and I'd bet Minux too.

	What I've got to do is pick up where I kwit ten years ago with the
	kernel driver code and drop the the code to make the speaker-audio
	create tiny, brief clicks, preferably low, thunky sounds like ye
	ancient IBM Selectrics.

	gary

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php