clicky driver

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Dec 25 21:01:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:47:49 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	If someone in the kernel-side would work with me and add the
> 	Audio click, I will look at some of the netbooks to see how
> 	usable they are.

One problem might occur when the desired device doesn't have
a "PC speaker" functionality and only offers sound output
through the sound card (inside the chipset, which is a chip,
and mostly is the CPU itself). Programming a PC speaker beep
is, as far as I can imagine, more simple to implement than
a sound generation by the DSP (which requires a driver to
do so).

> There are millions of people world-wide with
> 	impaired speech who can type.

There are also millions of blind people world-wide, but
web developers don't pay any attention on them. :-)

> 	As a first cut, is there somebody on the kernel side I should check
> 	with to see about adding a "click driver"?

You could initially have a look at the atkbd (or ukbd?)
source files. Maybe just inserting some output of the
ASCII character 0x07 (BEL) after each recognized keypress
would be sufficient, but... no, it won't be that easy. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany