build 7.x kernel without zfs

Rolf G Nielsen lazlar at lazlarlyricon.com
Thu Dec 24 23:58:29 UTC 2009

Oles Hnatkevych wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Since my installation has 496Mb on root partition, having to kernels
> (current and old) there becomes pain, only 4Mb free left.
>
> How can I build kernel without zfs module, since it consumes 12Mb with
> symbols?

Hi Oles,

I'm not sure how to specify which modules not to build, but to build
only the modules you need, use MODULES_OVERRIDE in your kernel config
file. E.g. the following line will build and install only atapicam and
ext2fs.

makeoptions MODULES_OVERRIDE="atapicam ext2fs"

To find out what modules you use, just type kldstat in the console, and
add the listed modules to the MODULES_OVERRIDE.

You can also specify that you don't want debug symbols built by removing
or commenting out the makeoptions DEBUG=-g line.

Rolf Nielsen