What happened to /home?

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 07:11:15 UTC 2009

On Wed 23 Dec 2009 at 22:33:20 PST Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:40:13 -0800, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Usually /home is a symlink to /usr/home. Perhaps the symlink is
>>> busted? What it the output of `ls -ld /home' ? If you can still login
>>> as a regular user, what does `pwd -P' say just after you are logged
>>> in?
>>
>> I can still login as regular user, and when I run 'pwd -P' the output is
>> / and then it goes back to the prompt.  Output of 'ls -ld /home is:
>>
>> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root wheel 8 Dec 18 12:08 /home -> usr/home
>
>That's your problem right there.  /home does not point to the absolute
>path of '/usr/home' but to a *relative* path starting at whatever
>happens to be your current directory when you access '/home'.

Are you sure about that?

On my FreeBSD 8 system, I just tried this:

    cd /etc
    ls /home/ckester

and the result was a listing of my home directory, not some directory
under /etc.

Yet the result of ls -ld /home on my system is the same as above.

The symlink named "home" is found in the root directory "/" and the
relative path usr/home is apparently relative to that root directory,
not the current directory.