What happened to /home?

Rem P Roberti remegius at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 01:53:15 UTC 2009

On 2009.12.23 17:45:38 +0000, Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Rem P Roberti wrote:
>
> >Today I booted my laptop and discovered that /home was gone.  Well...not
> >exactly..but for all intents and purposes.  The system isn't seeing it
> >although I can see it when I cd to /.  But if I try and cd to /home from
> >there the system tells me "home:Not a directory."  What happened, and
> >what can I do about it?
>
> /home is (usually) a link to /usr/home.  If there was some problem that
> prevented /usr being mounted (power failure or crash with background
> fsck disabled), or you booted in single user mode, it would act that
> way.
>
> Does df show /usr is mounted?

Yep...it was mounted.  Something definitely got hosed.  I ran fsck on
/usr and there were a number of problems. Finally was able to delete the
troubled directory and reinstall.  Thankfully there was nothing of
importance in /home and I had everything backed up so that I could
re-populate the newly created /home.

Rem