ld-elf related problems

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Dec 21 19:34:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 04:15:06AM +1100, alex wrote:
> Ruben de Groot wrote:
> >So? It's just an OS. Some will switch to linux and try to make that better.
> >Thats evolution.
> >
> I hate linux to be honest, I have always highly praised FreeBSD to my
> friends and colleagues in the industry. But sadly enough, linux is
> performing significantly better in a number of areas than FreeBSD at the
> moment (yes I know the reasons why there is no zfs on linux, funny isnt
> it). This stupid licensing issue with the gnu development tools is a
> major setback, what will it take before someone says "Hey, gcc 4.2.x can
> no longer produce code that makes us competitive performance wise with
> other open source operating systems ,we need to upgrade"?
>
> Are we going to wait years on end until llvm is mature enough?

	I don't think this just me echoing your ideas, but they do jibe
	with my experience with FBSD since 1995.  As a server, things-BSD
	are unbeatable.  As a desktop, bzzzt.  Ubuntu wins there; mostly
	for fun-stuff, true.  Audio/video apps just work.  HEre, it's
	beyond painful.  And having gone thru a torturous 7+ week server
	migration, I don' need no mo' misery.    --That coughed up, I have
	to add that the friendships and support of this tiny bunc hh of
	geek has been outstanding.

	just my two penny's worth,

	gary,
		who iss still testing things. ......