ld-elf related problems

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:26:07 UTC 2009

On 12/21/09, Ghirai <ghirai at ghirai.com> wrote:
> This is a fresh install and all ports are up to date.
>
> I don't have the time to debug and fiddle with all the applications that
> are crashing, so i'll just do a clean reinstall of the OS, and hope
> that it won't happen again (won't be installing numpy).

That might be wise.  Let us know the error messages if it happens
again.  Adam's point was, I think, that recently many people have been
updating to a new version of FreeBSD, and not:

(1) cleaning off stale base system files, including libraries, that
may cause problems (this can be done, for example, with a 'make -C
/usr/src delete-old delete-old-libs', and/or by using find(1)/rm(1)
with some timestamp criteria.);

(2) rebuilding and reinstalling ports, which is a good idea (many old
ports work if you have the necessary COMPAT_FREEBSD_N options in your
kernel, and have the corresponding misc/compatN ports installed; but
it's a good idea to rebuild if you can).

> It certainly adds to the frustration knowing that there are no real
> technical reasons for this...

Perhaps I should have said "mostly for licensing reasons".  It does
take time and effort to import and test a new compiler and toolchain,
and many base system developers are busy with other tasks.  But I just
meant to point out a possible source of problems, not to reignite this
argument.  If you're interested in exploring alternatives, but don't
have time to roll your own, there is the clangbsd project that uses
the clang interface to llvm as the base system compiler.

b.