Rolf Nielsen listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
Mon Dec 21 17:02:24 UTC 2009

Leslie Jensen wrote:

> On 2009-12-21 17:35, Rolf Nielsen wrote:
>> Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>>
>>> Following the suggestion here:
>>> http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=45664&postcount=5
>>>
>>> To load two kernel modules via a script in /etc/rc.d/
>>>
>>> Produces the following:
>>>
>>> WARNING: Ignoring old-style startup script /etc/rc.d/
>>>
>>> I found the answer here:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2896643&group_id=151951&atid=782616
>>>

>>> I would like a suggestion on how to load the modules!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> /Leslie
>

>> Can't you load the modules from /boot/loader.conf? AFAIK VirtualBox
>> places its modules in /boot/modules, which makes them loadable by
>> load_modulename="YES" in /boot/loader.conf, where modulename should be
>> replaced by the filename of the module(s), omitting the leading path and
>> the .ko suffix, e.g. nvidia_load=YES" loads /boot/modules/nvidia.ko.

> I read in the same post that the loading order was important, and the
> way I understood it was that, if I load via loader.conf I could not be
> sure that the order is correct!

If the order is important, one probably depends on the other. Try

Or I guess you could simply load them from /etc/rc.local. Though that
is, AFAIK, no longer a recommended way to do things, it does still work.
I start a few things from there, simply because I couldn't be bothered
with writing an rc.d script.