slow clock on FreeBSD 7.2 on vmware

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.com
Mon Dec 21 14:49:51 UTC 2009

On 12/17/2009 4:01 PM, Steve Polyack wrote:
> On 12/16/09 12:53, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>> I run multiple FreeBSD servers inside VMWare and I don't have this
>>> problem. Are you running VMWare workstation? Or ESX/ESXi?
>>
>> I am running VMware Server 2.0...thanks again.
>
> I would really recommend switching to VMware ESXi if at all possible. I
> have a lot of FreeBSD VMs running under ESXi 3.5 and 4.0 that work just
> great with kern.hz=100 and openntpd.

I loaded ESXi and a FreeBSD 8.0 guest last night and this morning it is
still keeping time OK without any changes to loader.conf.

> We actually kept everything running on Linux+VMware Server 1.0 until we
> could make the switch to ESXi; the VMware Server 2.0 product wasn't
> reliable for us at all and was a total pain to manage.

I am using vSphere to manage, but I see even the standard version
requires licensing in the amount of $795. Is there a free management
software, or better yet, a way to manage via Linux? That's definitely
something I like about VMware Server, that I can manage via a browser. I
have not had any major problems with VMware Server 2.0 all running on
CentOS 5.x hosts.

--Robert