Yahoo! moving to Linux???

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 19 19:41:56 UTC 2009

Konrad Heuer wrote:

> Sorry, maybe I missed something ..
>
> When entering http://www.yahoo.de I find my request redirected to
> http://m.de.yahoo.com for some days now.
>
> Netcraft says:
>
> http://m.de.yahoo.com was running YTS on Linux  when last queried at
> 19-Dec-2009 19:12:25 GMT - refresh now  Site Report
>
> Hard to stand, I'd expect FreeBSD get replaced by Windows because of
> MS/Yahoo! agreement, but Linux??
>
> Does anybody know about that?

Although Yahoo has been, and still is, a big FreeBSD user, their business
has grown by absorbing many other web sites.  Those are hosted on all sorts of
different platforms.  I don't think you can really state that "Yahoo is based
on operating system foo" any more (for any foo) -- nor can you tell necessarily
from the OS of the web front-end what the back-end application servers are
running.

Whether Yahoo wants to spend a great deal of time and money homogenizing the OSes
their servers run on is an interesting question.  I doubt it somehow: the benefits
of simplified administration almost certainly don't outweigh the costs or justify
the risks of service disruption.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3