ifdown/ifup under FreeBSD?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Fri Dec 18 10:06:44 UTC 2009

Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Greg Larkin <glarkin at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> Sandra Kachelmann wrote:

>>> I try to avoid doing complex routing things on my servers. I leave
>>> that up to the NOC guys. They can do that on their fancy cisco
>>> switches. I want just one route per interface :-)
>>>
>>> I just wanted to add a seperate route/ip for the second interface,
>>> make it permanent by adding it to /etc/rc.conf and tell my FreeBSD to
>>> pretend it's booting up by running /etc/rc.d/netif restart. As others
>>> pointed out I forgot /etc/rc.d/route.
>>>
>>> Sandra
>>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I use "/etc/netstart", since it includes all of the commands listed
>> previously, as well as others that start the DHCP client, firewall, etc.
>>

> That's what i was looking for. How do you use it correctly? Just "sh
> /etc/netstart"?

That should work.
But read the contents of the file.
It does not restart anything, just start

Quote:
# This file is NOT called by any of the other scripts - it has been
# obsoleted by /etc/rc.d/* and is provided here only for user
# convenience (if you're sitting in single user mode and wish to start
# the network by hand, this script will do it for you).

It seems like I loose my remote connection when doing it this way due to
ipfw which I normally restart with #sh /etc/ipfw.rules & so I don't lose
my connection
#sh /etc/netstart &
or
#sh /etc/netstart
both connection lost

So after a config change of ip and gateway I prefer the netif and
routing option

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only
If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system;
Access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited.