Confusion About "FreeBSD now supports host and guest modes in VirtualBox"

Ed Jobs oloringr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:19:13 UTC 2009

On Friday 18 December 2009 06:39, Ryan Ware wrote:
> Maybe someone here can distribute some enlightenment.  In the press
> release for 8.0 it says, "FreeBSD now supports host and guest modes in
> VirtualBox".  I understand what the host mode support is with the
> VirtualBox port.  What I don't understand is what support for guest mode
> is.  I don't see anything anywhere about guest additions.  As far as I
> can tell, guest support seems to consist of simply allowing the kernel
> to run in VirtualBox.  Am I missing something?

i'm not absolutely sure, but i think that the Virtualbox additions is what you
are looking for. When an os is guest in Vbox, you can install the virtualbox
additions (in the guest) to share the clipboard and integrate the mouse with
the host machine.
I'm not perfectly sure, but i think that the additions build a kernel module
and load it during the boot.
So what i get is that the 8.0 kernel has support for that module. (or maybe i
am wrong? if someone knows, correct me)

--
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to
understand.