Native PDF viewer

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Dec 17 20:28:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 06:18:31AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 04:04:23 +0100, Rolf Nielsen <listreader at lazlarlyricon.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since I don't have Linux compat layer activated, and I have no need for
> > it, I'd like to ask if anyone can suggest a native PDF viewer (I'm not
> > fond of the idea of installing a compat layer for just one application).
>
> There are gv (which is limited in some way, "fancy" PDF files)
> and xpdf.
>
> I can recommend "xpdf -fullscreen <file>" especially for use
> in presentations.
>
> In both programs, keyboard support (important for comfortably
> browsing a document) is good.
>
> Of course, KDE and Gnome provide their own PDF viewers, but
> since you don't want to use the Linux ABI just for a PDF
> viewer program, you surely won't want to install KDE or
> Gnome just for the same purpose. :-)
>
> But I have to tell you that for some very special PDF files,
> especially those that use nonstandard stuff, and for those
> that "process" input fields, the acroread port is still
> on my system as "fallback solution".

	this is just my penny's worth, but since I value *simplicity*,
	I'm happy with xpdf.  The one thing I would like to see is the
	integration of the festival tts suite with any/all
	presentations of textual material.  The speech feature for
	acroread must be $$$$$, because it doesn't work on my single
	Ubuntu platform.  --oh well, ain't no free lunches... .

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php