question about xorg 7.4

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Thu Dec 17 16:02:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Warren Block wrote:

>>> Does ctrl-alt-f1 switch to the console?  If so, good news--it's working.
>>> You need to run dbus and hal as per the Handbook page.  Or disable hal,
>>> also as per the Handbook page.

>>> It's possible, but hard to tell.  If you can post your xorg.conf and
>>> Xorg.0.log, that would help.
>>
>> I appreciate your input. With the installation from pkg_add, the keyboard
>> was locked. Power off was the only relief.
>
> That's why I asked about ctrl-alt-f1.  If X is working even without a
> keyboard driver, that should still switch to the console.
>
>> I tried with and without hal/dbus, I changed the Driver to ati because that
>> worked in an earlier of xorg,
>
> What are you using for a driver now?
>
>> I commented out dri because I (mistakenly) thought that gave an error.
>> What worked was installing xorg from the 7.2-release iso.
>
> Which is going back to the older version of xorg.
>
>> Now what I would like to do is get rid of the black background.
>
> See xsetroot(1).

Thanks much man'ing and google did not turn that up

>> I actually like twm and use it when upgrading kde. Thank you for your offer
>> to review Xorg.0.log. Unfortunately the current system only keeps two
>> levels. My failures were long gone before questions was restored to health.
>
> When you want to try it again, I think we can make it work.

I appreciate the help. You mean pkg_add will get a later version of 7.4? That is
what I got off the iso. Your offer is very kind. When I first moved to BSD unix
and then FreeBSD my great learning jumps where getting X working.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug at safeport.com