ifdown/ifup under FreeBSD?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Dec 17 14:17:11 UTC 2009

Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
> Under RedHat Linux I can configure an interface, routes and so on in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1,
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/routes-eth1 then simply run:
>
> $ ifup eth1
>
> and it will set all the routes/netconfig/aliases I just configured.
>
> Is there something similar in FreeBSD?
>
> I tried configuring aliases in /etc/rc.conf and running:
>
> $ /etc/rc.d/netif restart
>
> but that just ended in errors that the route was already configured
> and so on. Sure I could do all the work manually with ifconfig and
> route but that's not my question.

Usually I do this from remote with /etc/rc.d/netif restart &&
/etc/rc.d/routing restart &
Maybe you are not root (because of the $ prompt)?
#/etc/rc.d/netif restart && /etc/rc.d/routing restart &
This always works for me

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only

If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system;
Access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited.

If you as intended recipient have received this e-mail incorrectly, please notify the sender (via e-mail).