binary package dependencies

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Dec 17 12:12:20 UTC 2009

I would like to know how to use self compiled ports made with make install
together with the packages which can be downloaded with pkg_add -r ....

I'm in the process of upgrading an old freebsd 6.0 server to 8.0 and have
decided to try and use apache22.

For various reasons I built the apache22 server using ports (mainly to force
usage of a particular BSDB). Then added subversion also using ports.

After setting up the new apache to act as an svn source and getting that working
I decided to add viewvc.

Rather stupidly I used pkg_add -r viewvc which seemed to work.

However, my apache setup stopped working. After much faffing about I learned
that the pkg_add -r viewvc had also installed another version of apache (a 2.0
version). All my apachectl commands were directed at the 2.0 version and my
edits to the httpd.conf were bing entirely ignored.

Somehow I had naively assumed that apache20 and apache22 were incompatible and
could not simultaneously be installed. Did the binary package load ignore all
conflicts? What's the proper way to approach these issues. Looking in the
apache20 Makefile I see it conflicts with earlier apache, but how can it
conflict with a later one?
--
Robin Becker