snapshot rsync dump/restore

n dhert ndhert at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:03:52 UTC 2009

I want to clone a FreeBSD system on another system.
Say, Mondaymorning I use the dump(8)  to make dumpfiles of all filesystems
(dumpofroot.dmp, dumpofvar.dmp, ...tmp.dmp, ...usr.dmp, ...home.dmp ) on an
external USB disk.
The original system keeps running.
Then Wednesday I setup FreeBSD on the new system, and use restore(8) to put
the contents of my dumpfiles in the filesystems of that clone system.
Then I still need to have the changes occured during Mondaymorning till
Wednesdayafternoon on the original system, to be put in some way on the
clone system, so that these are not lost.
I was told one could do this using rsync and by using a snapshot it would
even be faster (?)
Is rsync save regarding soft-links ?
How exactly would one best proceed?