Nvidia amd64 driver (WAS: Root exploit for FreeBSD )

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Sun Dec 13 13:32:35 UTC 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009 22:44:54 Rolf G Nielsen wrote:
> Mario Lobo wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 December 2009 21:23:00 Rolf Nielsen wrote:
> >> Where's that? The Nvidia site says nothing about it yet, and the
> >> makefile for x11/nvidia-driver still says ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=i386. I'm
> >> eagerly waiting for it, but I can't find anything other than a forum
> >> post (I don't have the address handy at this computer, but I know it's
> >> somewhere in the mailing list archive) from Zander at Nvidia corporation
> >> saying it's on its way.
> >
> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142120
>
> Thanks Mario and George. Just installed it and rebooted now. :D

You're welcome Rolf!

The driver DOES rock, doesn't it?

How is it working for you? any instabilities?

I am having some issues with virtualbox and KDE4.

KDE has 2 options for composite: OpenGL and xRender

I have composite enabled with openGl. If any vbox guest (winedows actually)
has 3d acceleration enabled, the host freezes completely. only the reset
button works ! I have to completely disable 3d accel on the Win guests.

But if composite is done with Xrender, the 3d accel on the guests doesn't
freeze the host, but I loose a lot of performance, smoothness and most of the
desktop effects on KDE.

I followed the advice on
to enable HPET and that seemed to improve things on this issue but I still
have to keep 3d disabled

Other than that, EVERYTHING else works perfectly. nVidia is much superior than
my onboard radeon HD 3300, which I unceremoniously dumped for a GeForce 9800
GT.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br