'X' vs. 'Mouse'

Ondřej Majerech oxyd.oxyd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 20:14:52 UTC 2009

2009/12/12 Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:50:33 -0700 (MST), Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> I had thought about putting a footnote about that, but it was already
>> too long.  Also, I don't know about non-English keyboards.  Maybe
>> there's a mechanism in hal to detect preferred keyboard layout from the
>> LANG setting.
>
> But if LANG isn't set, and LC_* settings differ? I think
> detecting the keyboard layout from the keyboard itself is
> not possible at all (how should it?).

Yeah -- for instance, my LANG and all LC_* variables are set to
en_US.UTF-8, so guess what my keyboard layout is?  Yes, it is "us" and
"cz_qwerty".  When I was briefly using HAL, it took a lot of cursing
to tell HAL that I want to have a second layout and that I want to be
able to switch layouts using a keyboard shortuct.  Using xorg.conf it
is ridiculously easy.

~ Ondra