'X' vs. 'Mouse'

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Dec 12 16:54:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:06:01 -0700 (MST), Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> Normally, the user shouldn't have to create XML files.

If they intended to use another than default english keyboard
layout... well, creating the correspoinding XML file as shown
in the handbook seemed to be the way to go.

In the past, things were centralized in xorg.conf for all the
options that would be interesting to the X server: Screen
settings, fonts, mouse, keyboard. Now, those settings seem
to be non-existent (autodetected) or scattered around into
config files of different subsystems.

Getting a three button mouse (with middle mouse for wheel
functionality) would be an interesting task, too, awaiting
my attention soon. :-)

> The new hal-0.5.13_12 solves some serious problems I had with the
> earlier version.  Maybe problems other people had too, but there haven't
> been any posts about someone trying HAL again and seeing if it works
> better now.

I'm confident that things like HAL and DBUS make the "plug and
play" experience much better in the future, especially with
the big desktop environments (KDE, Gnome, Xfce). Still, I'm
a bit surprised that such functionalities have been present
in times where HAL and DBUS didn't exist yet... but maybe
due to the fact that more and more stuff is accessed via USB,
and those USB devices often aren't interested in standards
and specifications, the use of HAL and DBUS (and maybe others,
such as CUPS) gets more and more unavoidable.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany