disk with high frequency noise only on FreeBSD

ly4uk Root ly41k at ukr.net
Fri Dec 11 22:15:59 UTC 2009

It was really big surprise for me to find Your topic!
Because many people at forums said me a lot of times that my drive is
probably broken and this is not a problem related to freebsd.
Had same results as Yours on ubuntu linux month ago - noise absent at
all. But, I understood so You have no overheating problems with freebsd
as my laptop, witch had been shutting down while compile/"overload". So
for now, there is no such temperature related problems after some hoover
cleaning), but drive is still squeaking. Now I'm using freebsd 8.0, not
fresh install, got it from seven release (at almost year ago) by
tracking stable branch. All noise came exactly in one reboot while
upgrading to 8.0-RC2.
So, it would be interesting to get Your answer about possible
solutions(if You know such) or maybe some comments(if don't). I will be
very happy for that, many excuse for disturbance.