HP USB 2.0 Tape Drive

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Dec 11 15:59:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 04:52:37AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:50:56 -0500, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> > I don't think you will have a problem using a USB2 interface.
> > But, I really cannot recommend DAT.   That type of system seems
> > to have been pushed beyond its ability.    The tapes fail
> > frequently.
>
> What about Ultrium tape? Is it better?

Yes.   I like the LTO tape system.  It writes and reads fast.
It seems reliable, though I haven't used it as heavily.
It is missing a fast file search ability, so although it
reads fast, it takes a while to find files.

It is also expensive - like DLT - but if cheap fails, then that
is really the most expensive.   It is cheaper to get something
that is reliable even if it has a higher price.

////jerry