FreeBSD and automountMap

Tim Gustafson tjg at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Dec 11 00:48:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in regard to getting automounts working via LDAP-distributed automountMap-style maps?

We are already using automountMap-style maps distributed via LDAP for a few thousand Linux, Mac and SunOS clients and I'd like to be able to use the same maps for my FreeBSD machines too, but I can't seem to find any clear documentation on how to set this up.

I've Googled lots of different things - the word "FreeBSD" with "autofo", "autmount", "automountMap", etc.  I've found lots of stuff about amd, but amd does not appear to support automountMap-style maps.  I also found a mount_autofs in /usr/src/sbin/mount_autofs, but that appears to not be installed by default, and when manually compiled it's non-functional.

I did find one reference to someone that ported autofs to FreeBSD, but then was asked by Apple to take his code down.

Please note that we're -not- talking about older NIS-style maps.  We -were- using them for our Linux, Mac and SunOS clients until recently, and have been switching over to the newer automountMap style for a while now.

I'm having a hard time believing that FreeBSD is the only UNIX-like OS that seems to be lacking this sort of autofs support.  Is that really the case?

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg at soe.ucsc.edu