8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Thu Dec 10 19:32:00 UTC 2009

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>> In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 287, Issue 16, Message: 8
>> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 19:39:08 +0200 Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:
>>
>>  > >
>>  > > However, I do not see any distributions listed that are prefixed with
>>  > > "X-". The choices are "All", "Reset", "Developer", "Kern-Developer",
>>  > > "User", "Minimal" and "Custom". Even the "Custom" option has nothing
>>  > > related to Xorg.
>>  > >
>>  >
>>  > That's correct, these have been removed.
>>
>> Hi Manolis,
>>
>> Look, I'm sorry, but I think this is a huge regression, especially if
>> we're still hoping that people with no prior experience of installing
>> freeBSD, people coming from Linux and such, for essentially or including
>> desktop use, are going to have a rewarding installation experience.
>>
>>  > > Is it supposed to be like this (i.e. no distributions containing X are
>>  > > presented on installation), or do I need to download other media from
>>  > > which to install? Note that I'm not asking how to install X and I
>>  > > realise that I can do it post-installation, but I'm just wondering
>>  > > whether I've made a mistake with my download or if the documentation
>>  > > is out of date.
>>  > >
>>  >
>>  > You've done nothing wrong, the documentation is in need of an update.
>>  > Please file a doc-bug PR.
>>  > Removing X from the distributions is a right step IMO, these are just
>>  > 3rd party packages and it seems confusing if they get installed along
>>  > with the base system.
>>
>> I think this is taking base-system-only installation purity to excess.
>>

> On the other hand, I feel it is confusing when you find yourself
> essentially selecting packages in the menus for the base-system components.
> The DVD *still* has the packages, and you are still asked if you wish to
> install any. Xorg is just one click away - select the meta-package and
> the entire thing goes in.
>
>> Fine for people installing servers of course, and maybe it will shift
>> more people wanting a GUI environment towards PC-BSD and such if we want
>> to discourage these from using FreeBSD as it is (or maybe, was) but even
>> with my 11 years experience of installing FrreeBSD versions from 2.2
>> till now, I kept on wondering, how would a newbie fare at this point?
>>

> Having shown the FreeBSD installation to people only acquainted with
> Windows or Ubuntu, I always get the same reaction: Completely
> disheartening, confusing, complex.  You need to know too many things and
> when everything is done right, you are just rewarded with a console
> login.  This is a fact: FreeBSD is not for the faint of heart, and
> definitely not for someone who wants a desktop in five minutes. You have
> to get past the initial shock and devote a lot of time to learn your way
> [...]
Aloha ,

I have used the FreeBSD 7.* cd/dvd since  Manolis put up the site for
them. I have had no issues that were not controllable by configuration.

His versions just work. You can also add your favorite wm by selecting
it from ports.

On the other hand with a Ubuntu HP Mini I could not install wireless
automatically the way the GUI tries to do it. I had to make my own
network file to over ride interferrng wireless from the military
installations 1 Km from my house. I think Ubuntu must select the
strongest signals and my netgear wireless didnt show up below strong
military net signal.

Manual settings work fine.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +