geometry does not match label (255h,63s != 16h,63s)

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Dec 9 18:59:53 UTC 2009

Hi--

On Dec 9, 2009, at 10:44 AM, Peter Steele wrote:
> Add my name to the list--we get tons of these messages since upgrading to 8.0....

This isn't new with 8.x; it's been around since 4.0, if not earlier.

For a long time, BIOSes using the older C/H/S addressing mechanism were limited to ~8GB in size, and prior to LBA 48-bit addressing there was a ~130GB size limit.  So long as the system is seeing the proper size of the drive, you can safely ignore the messages; if the drive size is not being detected properly, make sure your BIOS is updated, is set to look at drives using LBA mode (rather than C/H/S), and make sure the drive itself doesn't have a jumper limiting it to legacy addressing mode.

Most of the time, "you can safely ignore the message" applies and one can ignore the rest the above.  :-)

Regards,
--
-Chuck

PS: Now, if 8.x is repeatedly logging these messages, that might be new behavior and worth adjusting.