fixit and gmirror

Joey Mingrone joey at mingrone.org
Wed Dec 9 18:53:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 21:40, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because the livefs uses a MFSROOT system (allows you to make changes
> to the ram-based disk image after boot), you have to load kernel
> modules before the mfsroot is mounted.  As an example..
>
> boot cd
> escape to loader prompt
> load /boot/kernel/geom_mirror.ko
> load /boot/kernel/smbfs.ko (if needed, i had to load two modules the
> time i had to use it)
> boot

Thanks guys.

Tim, that did the trick.  I followed that sequence with the livefs cd, then did:

# mount /dev/mirror/gm0s1a /temp/; mount /dev/mirror/gm0s1f
/temp/tempusr/ and copied /temp/tempusr/boot to /temp/ (minus
kernel.old so it would fit) and the system boots again.

> And I would like to note..  raid0 is striping, gstripe.  raid1 is
> mirroring.  I find it hard to recognize raid0 as your boot device.

Right.  It is raid1.

Cheers,

Joey