Gnome desktop for 5 y/o

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Dec 8 19:59:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 20:24:36 +0100, ocean <ocean_ieee at yahoo.it> wrote:
> also for the old computer i would recommend xfce or, since
> you say they only need a few programs, you could go with
> just Xorg + feh for the background + xfwm or openbox + a
> light taskbar and a nice dock-bar (wbar or simdock) were
> you will only put the applications they need to run.

An alternative would be IcecWM: Easily configurable menu,
good window managing, no bloat. But I can second XFCE,
too. Maybe you want to run XFCE 3 which has some look &
feel of CDE, is easily configurable and very fast. (I
use it on a 300 MHz P2 with similar requirements as you
mentioned, but without any "Flash").

There's a nice dock-like application for X which is used
by the FreeSBIE live system CD. I've got no FreeSBIE at
hand, nor can I remember the application's name, but I
think this would be interesting to you, too.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany