FreeBSD is too filesystem errors sensitive

cronfy cronfy at sprinthost.ru
Tue Dec 8 11:07:52 UTC 2009

>> Is there a way to say "Dear kernel, don't panic, I'am holding your
>> hand, keep working please-please-please?" If so, can it lead to
>> complete filesystem corruption indeed or it is not so serious?
>
> Afaik you can't do this. And you shouldn't do if it'd be possible. The
> file system errors you mention above should not happen under any
> normal circumstances. They may happen after a crash caused by other
> reasons but should get repaired by fsck. The kernel cannot continue
> with such errors because the whole file system metadata cannot be
> trusted anymore until repaired.

Thanks.

What I can definitely state is that after reboot nothing will get any
better. I will have same filesystem with same errors + new errors that
appeared because soft-updates were not synced, and I will have fsck
running in background. I'd prefer to just start fsck in background,
skipping that annoying reboot phase ;-) Am I willing strange?