Geode Xorg Driver

rhino64 at postmail.ch rhino64 at postmail.ch
Tue Dec 8 07:12:42 UTC 2009

Hi All,
    I use the Alix 1d computer from pcengines to build
a X terminal and a small mail server.

The Xserver is working with the VESA driver. This is functional
but a little bit slow. A Xorg driver for this graphic card
(AMD Geode) exists but it is not available with FreeBSD.

With FreeBSD 7.2, I was able to use the drivers compiled
for OpenBSD. But due to a version mismatch, they are not usable
with FreeBSD 8.0 which is installed now.

I have lookup a many places since two days and I can see
that some persons were able to compile the drivers for formers
version of BSD.

Could someone explain how to compile the drivers for FreeBSD 8.0 ?
There is no port, but since a lot of similar drivers (like the VESA) are
available, it should not be too complicated to compile the geode driver
(I have got the source on the GIT repository of Xorg).

I have started to compile VESA driver from ports but it fails
at some points while not finding "gdm-config".

An other solution would be to get the drivers of a Linux
distribution (normally this should work since Xorg modules are
platform independents).

Thanks for any help or ideas.

regards,

Alain Aubord