update/upgrade question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 10:21:46 UTC 2009

Alex Huth wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Maybe i haven't understand the process of updating not really. I thought when
> i use Releng_6 in the stable_supfile i get the latest version of 6.x = 6.4.
> But after the process of make buildworld and so on, it is still 6.3. Do i have
> to use Releng_6_4 even when i do not get the patches then?

RELENG_6 will give you the latest from the 6.x-STABLE development branch.
According to:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh?rev=1.69.2.21;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup;only_with_tag=RELENG_6

this will call itself 6.4-STABLE.  It will have all of the same
security/errata patches as the 6.4-RELEASE branch plus any development work that
has been done on 6.x (which will have been pretty minimal lately since the focus
is now on 9-CURRENT / 8-STABLE)  There's not a lot of differences between
RELENG_6 and RELENG_6_4 nowadays.

The fact that you aren't seeing your version reported as 6.4-STABLE indicates
something went wrong with your upgrade process and you haven't actually booted
your system from an updated kernel.

> Next question is if i don't get updates with freebsd-update when i have
> a stable version? I have the problem with two machines (6.3 and 6.4). On both
> i do not get the public key because it is not available on the remote server.
> I have test it with debug.

freebsd-update only covers the RELEASE branches.  That is equivalent to
RELENG_6_3 or RELENG_6_4 in your cases.  However 6.3-RELEASE is due to go out
of support on the 31st January (http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html)
so now would be a good time to think about upgrading.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard