WINE on 6.3

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 5 19:23:04 UTC 2009

RW wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:47:00 +0100
> Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> Is WINE usable on 6.3/i386?
>> I cannot seem to start any win32 program and before I spend time into
>> it, I thought I just ask.
>>
>> My interest is almost limited to running a simple console app that
>> does very litte beyond reading a text file, processing it, and
>> outputting another text file.
>
> It's think it's possible that the p13 update "no zero mapping" might
> have an affect on windows/dos programs.

[snip]

Not sure this is present in 6.3, so check first. A quick sysctl
security.bsd.map_at_zero will return a value of 0 if present. As RW
indicated it may have been included in the p13 update.

To elaborate a little, you may need to toggle the security.bsd.map_at_zero:
0 MIB. Change this to 1 to disable, not sure if loader.conf or sysctl.conf
is the right place. Would be better not to have to do this because leaving
it enabled is a security feature. However, WINE may not run without it.

I'm also not sure if the following is related, I just recall reading about
it at in the same time frame and mostly with regard to Samba. Possibly there
is a need to place CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --disable-pie in make.conf and recompile
WINE. This may not apply to WINE at all so if the MIB config mentioned above
fixes the situation do not proceed with this. I suspect wrt to WINE this is
irrelevant, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Should you discover --disable-pie is required leaving it present in
make.conf is not a very satisfactory arrangement, as it would then apply to
all ports. Workaround would be to place it just for WINE recompile if
absolutely necessary and then comment it out when done.

-Mike