binary upgrade 6.1 - 7.2/8.0

Alex Stangl alex at stangl.us
Sat Dec 5 14:55:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 03:04:35AM +0100, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 02:01:04PM +0000, Robin Becker wrote:
> > Is it feasible to upgrade a system from 6.1 to 7.2 or 8.0-RC1 and if yes
> > what sequence of upgrades should I actually carry out ie is it feasible to
> > do 6.1-6.2 and then 6.2 - 7.2 or should it be done in small steps?
>
> I didn't see anyone else responed so I give it a go. I thougth it was
> posible for the base but not the ports. And I thought binairy upgrade
> only works from releses not patches or RCs. I haven't done this my self,
> but got this info from the handbook / the list.

I asked a similar question in June about 6.0 -> 7.2.
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg216640.html

A couple people replied that they recommended upgrading via source. That
worked fine, so I also recommend going that route and avoiding
freebsd-update.sh except possibly for minor security updates. Once
kernel and userland are successfully updated, you'll probably want to
rebuild all your installed ports.

Good luck,

Alex