strange samba issue

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 11:47:41 UTC 2009

Hi List

I have encountered a problem with samba and I cant seem to find a
solution to it.

I re-installed my 3 BSD servers over the last week and am now running
8.0 amd 64.

I`ll use the machine names as it will make it less confusing to explain,

Proteus AMD64 3500+ 4GB 3 x 500GB ZFS raidz samba-3.3.9

Amalthea AMD64 x2 4200+ 2GB 4x 500GB ZFS raidz samba-3.3.9

Eris AMD64 x2 5200+ 4GB 6 x 1.5TB ZFS raidz samba-3.3.9

Mercury win2k3 server

Saturn win2k3 server

Hyperion windows XP pro

Samba is setup to just function as part of the workgroup.

Accessing all the network shares from Hyperion is what I would call
normal in speed, except for Proteus clicking on a folder can take 15
seconds or so for the folder to open. Now if I connect to either Saturn
or Mercury via remote desktop, and I then access Proteus the speed is
normal pretty much the instant you double click the folder it opens. I
have tried adding socket options = TCP_NODELAY to the smb.conf on
Proteus but that made no difference, anyone got any ideas ?

Regards

Graeme