Problems with wifi and macbook

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 10:18:34 UTC 2009

FW wrote:
> I have successfully installed freebsd on my macbook (yay!), but I
> can't figure out how to make the wifi work.  Wired networking works
> great.
>
> I am following the directions here :
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-wireless.html,
> but I have only got up to section 31.3.3.1, since I can't get past the
> scanning part.
>
> My ifconfig output is attached (can't figure out cutting and pasting
> in icewm with the single mouse thing).  When I try run ifconfig ath0
> scan, I get "ifconfig: unable to get scan results".  My loader.conf is
> attached to -- I presume that the kernels are loadd, but I can't
> figure out how to check.  I DO see ath0 in the dmesg.
>
> Any help is appreciated!

Are you running 8.0 ? if so the way wireless works has changed somewhat.
instead of using the ath0 device directly you need to make a wlan0
device which uses the ath0 device.
I think the command line is
ifconfig wlan0 create wavelandev ath0 wlanmode (pick from sta hostap
adhoc or whatever)

see wlan(4) and ifconfig(8),  see also  the entry dated 20080420 in
/usr/src/updating (or in
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/release/8.0.0/UPDATING?revision=199625&view=markup)
if you dont have a source tree installed.

Once thats done, the rest should be as per the handbook i think.

Vince