8.0-RELEASE and "dangerously dedicated" disks

Randi Harper randi at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 2 17:48:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> Some of the responses have said that UFS handling of 'Dangerously
> dedicated' has not gone away, just sysinstall handling of it.
> That may be true and if that is true, then you can probably still
> access dangerously dedicated drives.   But, I would think it is a
> good opportunity to convert them while the uncertainty reigns.

Once again, it has nothing at all to do with UFS. Clearly you didn't
search the mailing list archives like I said you should. I removed the
support from sysinstall because it was *broken* due to changes with
geom. It is not a sysinstall thing, it's a "oh look, sysinstall lets
you do something that doesn't work anymore" thing. You'd think if the
person that made these changes to sysinstall was commenting on the
issue, that should clear up any uncertainty. But you can go ahead
believing whatever makes you happy.

-- randi