Machine running ipf block TCP connections

Asrai khn asraikhn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 13:50:50 UTC 2009

I have configured IPF based firewall on solaris 10, however for some reason
which i do not understand the machine  block all TCP connections after few
hours of deploying the firewall rules.
while blocked machine is not ping able nor I can SSH it, consequently i have
to access it via console and have to disable the ipf.

This machine is running Radius software and while machine blocking TCP
connections UDP keep working which mean our dialup customers still able to
dial our services.

Below are the rules which I am using as far i can understand the 'keep
state' thing is making the problem.

# Pass through packets to and from localhost.
pass out quick on lo0
pass in quick on lo0

# Allow a variety of individual hosts send any type of packet to this host.
#
pass in quick from xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/32 to any keep state
pass in quick from xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/32 to any keep state

# Allow all ICMP

pass in quick proto icmp from any to any keep state

# Allow all Radius
pass in quick proto udp from any to any port = 1812 keep state
pass in quick proto udp from any to any port = 1813 keep state

# Allow FTP for mediation to collect files via FTP
pass in quick proto tcp from 10.254.160.0/24 to any port = 20 keep state
pass in quick proto tcp from 10.254.160.0/24 to any port = 21 keep state

pass out quick from any to any keep state
block in quick all