installing cups-client kills my machines

Michal ml at infosec.pl
Wed Dec 2 00:14:06 UTC 2009

Hello,

I don't have any printers attached to my system but sometimes I have to
print something to a pdf file from my www browser or email client.
Everything works fine without cups but some ports are installing it (or
  parts of it) as dependencies and that's when all problems starts.

With cups-client installed I can not print to PDF files any more. In
fact just touching anything related to printing results with [almost]
frozen machine. For example pushing "page setup", "print preview" or
"print" options in Firefox is going to result in 100% WCPU usage by
firefox-bin and it sits like that forever.

Currently I'm running cups-client-1.4.2_1. Same problem when I try to
access print-related options from within Thunderbird and Firefox. Same
problem on two different machines with 7.2-RELEASE-i386 and
8.0-RELEASE-amd64.

Don't really know what should I look at - any ideas, please? It drives
me crazy and ruins my desktop experience (i.e. I have to reboot into
Windows just to print something to a file).

Michal
--
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein