ZFS pools of consisting of several mirrors

Rolf Nielsen listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
Tue Dec 1 17:41:57 UTC 2009

Hello,

In experimenting a bit with ZFS, I, among other things, tried something
like this

zpool create -R /test test mirror file[01]0 mirror file[01]1 mirror
file[01]2 mirror file[01]3 mirror file[01]4 mirror file[01]5

This, according to zpool status, gives me a (file backed) pool
consisting of six mirrors, each mirror consisting of two files. Now for
my question. Exactly how is the pool built? Is it...

1. A RAID0 of the six mirrors?

2. A mirror of two RAID0 arrays, each array consisting of the six files
file0[0-5] and file1[0-5] respectively?

3 and 4. Like 1 and 2 above, but with JBOD instead of RAID0?

5. Some other way I haven't thought about?

I guess it's 1 or 3, as the zpool status output shows me six mirrors,
but which is it? And, provided my guess is correct, is there a way to
implement 2 or 4 without involving geom_stripe or geom_concat?

Sincerely,

Rolf Nielsen