Boot from RAIDZ in 8.0-BETA3?

Ed Jobs oloringr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 09:19:06 UTC 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009 04:16, Doug Poland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm experimenting with trying to boot from a RAIDZ on 8.0-BETA3 (amd64).
>   The environment is VMware.  I've been googling and reading what I can
> on this procedure, which sounds possible, but I have been unable to
> successfully get a system up and running with my technique.

<snip>

> And this is far as I have been able to get.  Can anyone identify what
> I'm doing wrong, or overlooking?  Pointers to docs, man pages, URLs
> appreciated.

i'm sure that you have already checked this out, but there is a howto in the
wiki pages
http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot

i tried this procedure twice on a i386 (once on a vm and once on an actual pc)
and worked. (tho a nasty bug preventedme from keeping my root on zfs)
it's about a zpool and not raidz/z2, but i'm pretty sure that the same apply
to those too.

cheers

--
God, root, what's the difference?