Reading raw memory

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Aug 28 12:43:35 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm wondering if FreeBSD allows direct access to memory.

What I'd like to do is try to force a Perl application to leak memory by
simulating a dangling pointer that it's garbage collection system can't
clean up.

I'd then like to look at the raw memory address to find out if the data
is in a state where it could later be retrieved.

Is accessing memory like this permitted within the OS? If so, what type
of editor would be used to do such a thing? Perhaps a snip of C code
that one could pass in the address as a parameter?

Steve