Can anyone reproduce this Samba problem?

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Thu Aug 27 09:30:48 UTC 2009

> Interestingly, if I turn off 'inherit permissions', then 'inherit
> owner' DOES take effect correctly. However, that means the sticky
> bit
> does not get inherited, which will not work for me. I need both to
> be
> inherited, and for some reason they are behaving mutually-exclusive
> (with 'inherit permissions' taking precedence).

If I understood your problem correctly, you don't actually want to set
sticky bit on the root directory, but suid - so the chmod would be
like

chmod 4xxx mydir

In FreeBSD suid-bitted directory will make all the subdirs to inherit
the owner.

Sticky bit causes bit different behaviour - see sticky (8) and
chmod(1)

-Reko