Problem syncing Palm TX with jpilot on FreeBSD 8.0-BETA3

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 27 07:36:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 06:54:25PM +0100, Tony McC wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 8.0-BETA3 amd64 and am having trouble syncing my
> Palm TX with jpilot.  This used to work with 7.2-STABLE amd64 and I
> suspect I'm just not using the usb: connection correctly but have not
> been able to find a solution by searching the archives.
>
> I am running a custom kernel with "device uvisor" commented out, though
> the same problem occurs if I recompile with uvisor included.

[...]

First you need to have uvisor(4) loaded (compiled in the kernel or via
the loaded module).  Last uvisor(4) revision was not merged in BETA3 so
you will have to wait for the merge or directly grab it from

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/usb/serial/uvisor.c?rev=1.12;content-type=text%2Fplain;only_with_tag=HEAD

replace you src/sys/dev/usb/serial/uvisor.c with that one and rebuild
your module/kernel

Then if you plug your device and launch Hotsync on the Palm a /dev/cuaU0
device should appear.  You should check that.
If you have jpilot installed, palm/pilot-link tools are installed (be
sure it was compiled with USB support), so once the /dev/cuaU0 device
node is created you can type:

# pilot-xfer -p /dev/cuaU0 -l

this should list the installed files on your device,

# pilot-xfer -p /dev/cuaU0 -b your_backup_dir

to backup your palm on your PC.

If these commands worked, then jpilot should work as well.

--
Marc