Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Tue Aug 25 09:33:23 UTC 2009

Hello,

We have an HP Proliant DL380G5 with 4GB of RAM and FreeBSD 7.0 which
runs PostgreSQL 8.3 for more than a year now. No problems, except that
two days ago I noticed those messages in my kernel logs :

"Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the
vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable."

Since vm.pmap.shpgperproc and vm.pmap.pv_entry_max require a reboot I
want to be sure that I put "good" values (for ex: I read that increasing
too much vm.pmap.shpgperproc could result in a panic at boot time or
later).

I have the following in /boot/loader.conf :

kern.ipc.semmni=1024
kern.ipc.semmns=16384
kern.ipc.semmnu=16384
vm.pmap.shpgperproc=225
vm.pmap.pv_entry_max=4134816

and the following in /etc/sysctl.conf :

kern.ipc.shmall=262144
kern.ipc.shmmax=1073741824
kern.ipc.semmap=16384
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1

Do you think that those values for vm.pmap.pv_entry_max and
vm.pmap.shpgperproc are OK ? Is it OK to increase vm.pmap.pv_entry_max
as long as vm.kvm_free is not too low ?

Thanks,
Julien

--