/etc/rc.d/named dilemma

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 00:11:02 UTC 2009

>        I don't remember the original description, but any time I hear about
> a 30 second "gap" during startup, I think of the well-known DNS reverse
> look-up issue.  Are you sure this is not the case here?

Indeed, I have forgotten to have the PTR record set up for my new IP address.

However the original description is that when I issue a "ping -c 100
x.y.z.w" to a well-known IP address, only the last 70 packets get
returned, not the first 30 (hence 30 seconds).  This ping command is
issued very early in the rc.d scripts, after NETWORK and before named,
and the script does not exit until a ping request is successful.